God, Give Me Faith Like a Child



I wrote "God, Give Me Faith Like a Child" in 2012, shortly after moving back to Indiana. I was impressed by my then-toddler's ability to adapt to our new life, even as I struggled to figure out what to do with myself. Sally Morris provided me with the plaintive tune just a few days later.
This might be the simplest track on Walk in Peace; it is certainly one of my favorites. The vocalist is the amazing Pax Ressler and the guitarist is Matthias Stegmann, who also engineered most of the album. Rather than recording the guitar and vocalist separately (as would normally be the approach), we recorded them simultaneously. Giving the musicians some room for give-and-take makes for a beautiful track.
The text and tune can be found in Stars Like Grace, in the Walk in Peace collection, or as an octavo (with another piece from the CD, "When You Wonder, When You Wander."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Speeches Fall Silent--a hymn after the Orlando massacre

Christmas Hymn: The Morning After Jesus' Birth

The Son of God Became a Refugee (additions)